Canada: A Changing Society
By the end of Grade 8, students will:
- demonstrate an understanding of factors contributing to change in a society
- demonstrate an understanding of how the industrial revolution changed Canadian
- identify and describe the achievements of Canadians who have contributed
significantly to the development of Canada and the world;
- identify features of Canada’s immigration policy in the nineteenth
- demonstrate an understanding of Canada’s participation in World War
- demonstrate an understanding of the impact of the war on veterans, their
families, Canada as whole, specific groups within the country, and the world.
- describe and evaluate the effects of technology on Canadian society;
- interview new Canadians to determine their attitudes towards their new home
and towards Canada’s immigration policies.
The following vignettes address these expectations:
Woo! All Aboard!
Steinhoff and Shipbuilding in Wallaceburg
Ale and Mathew Bixel
Maple Syrup Festival
Keep on Turning
and the Battle of Vimy Ridge
Political Opinions and Entertainment
Gold! The Beginnings of the Oil Industry
Rain Nor Sleet or Snow